Summer Safety For Kids
With summer vacation in full swing, many kids are out of school. Parents should ensure their children remain safe while on summer vacation. Here are a few tips to follow:
- If children are home alone and are allowed to answer the phone, they should never tell the caller that they are home alone.
- If someone knocks on the door, do not open the door but let the person know someone is inside the residence. Do not let them know the child is home alone.
- Assure that they know how to call 911 and when it is appropriate to do so. Also establish a schedule for the child to check in with mom or dad.
- Establish house rules for use of the computer, especially the internet. The computer can be a valuable learning tool, but is not a good babysitter. Make sure the child knows never to give out personal information on the computer.
- Your children need to wear a helmet while riding a bike, scooter, or roller skates, etc.
- Teach your children that it is best to be in a group of friends when going places.
- Parents should know the route the child will be taking to and from a given location.
- Remind the child never to take shortcuts or deviate from the route agreed upon.
- Make sure that your children know never to talk to anyone that they don’t know.
Additionally, idle hands can often find themselves in trouble. Take advantage of the various activities for children offered by Alta Canyon Sports Center.