In accordance with State and Local guidelines, our offices will be closed until further notice. We will try to operate as normally as possible, but please be patient as we try to work through this unprecedented time. At this time the best way to contact our staff is via email, found on our Administration/Organization page.
Most building inspections are still being conducted. If you need to schedule an inspection, please call 801-568-7251 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., Monday through Friday.
As of March 30, 2020, Sandy City has adopted the following building inspection guidelines to reduce the risk of exposure to you and our inspectors and we ask that you read them prior to scheduling.
The Sandy City Building and Safety Division is located in the Community Development office, Room 210 in Sandy City Hall. Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Building and Safety Division is responsible for the following:
- Issuing permits for commercial and residential projects
- Review each residential building permit and associated materials for compliance with the International Residential Code (IRC)
- Review each commercial building permit and associated materials for compliance with the International Building Code (IBC)
- Perform inspection on buildings under construction to verify compliance with the minimum standards in the building code (either the IRC or IBC)
- Inspect new businesses to very compliance with the minimum requirements for the building code (which includes the access requirements for persons with disabilities)
Sandy City currently enforces the following codes:
- 2018 Edition of the International Building Code
- 2015 Edition of the International Residential Code
- 2018 Edition of the International Mechanical Code
- 2018 Edition of the International Plumbing Code
- 2017 Edition of the National Electrical Code
- 2018 Edition of the International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 Edition of the International Energy Conservation Code (as amended by the State of Utah)
- 1997 Edition of the Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings
- 2018 Edition of the International Existing Building Code
*With State Amendments see Title 15A of the Utah State Code
The Code Enforcement Section is charged with performing the following activities:
- Enforce the City's Land Development Code (Zoning Ordinance) and portions of the City's Municipal Code (i.e., weeds and junk)
- Forward cases to the City Prosecutor to prosecute violators of land use and municipal code violations at the Sandy City Justice Court and/or the 3rd District Court of the State of Utah.