Business Licensing

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


In accordance with State and Local guidelines, our offices will be closed until further notice. We will try to operate as normally as possible, but please be patient as we try to work through this unprecedented time. At this time the best way to contact our staff is via email, found on our Administartion/Organization page. In addition, Salt Lake County has setup the following hotline for businesses:

    • SLCo Business Relief Hotline, 385-468-4011: Assistance navigating federal, state, and local relief options. This process is designed to be a bridge for those who do not have a close relationship with their lender.


Renewing a business license? Credit card and e-check payments may be made online here. NOTE: Due to application requirements, alcohol and temporary permits may not renew online or by phone.

If you would prefer to make a credit card payment via phone, please call the Treasurer's Office at 801-568-7130.

All questions and other issues should be directed to the Business License Administrator at 801-568-7252. Thank you.

What is a Business License?

A Business License is city permission to operate a legal business within the boundaries of the issuing government body. In Sandy City Ordinance 5-1-13, the term 'business' shall include all activities engaged in or caused to be engaged in with the object of gain or economic profit. 

Why is a Business License required?

In Sandy City Ordinance 5-1-1 it states that it is unlawful for any person to engage in business within the City limits without first having obtained a business license. A separate license shall be required for each type of business and for each place of business. Licenses are renewable annually and are not transferable from one owner to another or to any other location other than the one indicated on the license. If you are planning to take over the ownership of an existing business or move an existing business to a new location, please allow up to 20 days to process an application.

Who Needs a Business License?

All businesses being conducted from a location in Sandy City are generally licensable. However, certain business professions are specifically exempt by the State of Utah from license fees. Even though these professions are exempt from license fees, they typically are not exempt from the rest of the license process including filing a valid license application and completing necessary safety inspections or zoning requirements. If your business will be located in a commercial zone, it is advisable that you contact the Planning and Zoning department at 801-568-7256 for specific zoning requirements and restrictions prior to signing a lease or filing a license application.

Certain Home Occupations may be further exempt from licensing requirements under Title 15A-11-05 section D.19. If you feel this may apply, click here to see a copy of the applicable ordinances or the link below for a brief explanation.  Please take note, if a business is exempt, but a license is requested by the business owner, a licensing fee will apply.

Home Occupation Exemptions 2018

If you are not sure that your business requires a license or if you feel that your business may qualify for a special exemption, you may contact the Business License office directly at 801-568-7252 for clarification.

How do I apply for a Sandy City Business License?

Please contact the License Office for specific forms, information and requirements if your business entity is:

  • Temporary or itinerant in nature
  • Involved with the sale or consumption of alcohol
  • Door-to-door soliciting or mobile ice cream vending
  • A sexually oriented business
  • Firearms dealer
  • Pawn shop or a second hand dealer
  • Massage Therapy Establishment

If the State of Utah requires a license for your profession, you may be asked to submit a copy at the time of application.

The State of Utah, in cooperation with several local government entities, has developed a "One-Stop Business Registration" website. This website streamlines many of the processes for registering a new business. This site cannot be used if you are already an existing business within the State of Utah. The site is available 24 / 7 and will guide you through a series of questions designed to determine which Sandy City, State or Federal registrations and forms are applicable to your type of business. Many of the assigned tax numbers, business registrations and accounts assigned through this site are a necessary precursor to the business license process. The website address is: It is easy and a lot less time consuming and cumbersome than physically visiting each agency in person.

Steps to complete before submitting an application:

1. Registration of a Business Name:

All entities doing business in Utah under an assumed business name must register with the State of Utah, Department of Commerce. If you are using your own name as your business name it will not need to be registered. However, if you use any other name, or even your abbreviated name, you are required to register the name. This is called a fictitious name registration or DBA which stands for 'Doing Business As'. For example, if your name is Kristine A. Jones and you name your business Kristine Jones, you will not have to register it, but if you call it Kristine Jones Preschool or KJ Enterprises, you will have to register the name. Corporations and Limited Liability Companies register their name when they file their Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization. If you have any questions about registering a business name and the fees involved, you may call the Utah State Department of Commerce at 801-530-4849 or visit the office in person at 160 East 300 South, Salt Lake City, UT.

2. Obtain a State Sales Tax Number:

Most businesses are required to collect and remit sales tax for goods (and some services) they provide to consumers. You can obtain a sales tax number at the "One Stop Business Registration" website at the same time you are applying for a business name. Sales taxes are coded to the city in which the business is initially registered. If you are relocating to Sandy City, you will be asked to fill out a relocation form which will be forwarded to the State Tax Commission. If you have any questions about whether or not your business should be collecting sales tax, you may call the State Tax Commission at 801-297-2200 or visit the office in person at 210 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City, UT.

3. Obtain "Employer" Related Tax Numbers:

If you will have employees, you are required to register with the following agencies.

  • Internal Revenue Service - You will need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) in order to remit the Federal Tax Withholding and make FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax) payments for your employees. You can apply for this number in person at the State Tax Commission.
  • State Tax Commission - You will need to get a State Withholding Number in order to remit the State Tax you withhold from payroll.
  • State Unemployment Insurance - State unemployment insurance is required for companies with employees. For further information contact the Utah Department of Workforce Services.
  • Worker's Compensation Insurance is required of all employers. This insurance may be obtained from private companies or the State Insurance Fund. Contact the Worker's Compensation Fund of Utah, 100 West Towne Ridge Parkway, Sandy, UT. The phone number is 800-446-2667.

Helpful addresses and phone numbers:

  • State of Utah Department of Commerce - 160 East 300 South, Salt Lake City, UT.  
  • State Tax Commission - 210 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City, UT. Phone 801-297-2200 
  • Internal Revenue Service - If you need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) in order to remit the Federal Tax Withholding and make FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax) payments for your employees, contact the State Tax Commission.

Staff Contact:

Lesley Casaril
Phone: 801-568-7252

See the Applications/Forms page for Business License forms available for download, such as:

  • One Stop application
  • Commercial Businesses
  • Home Occupations
  • Temporary Businesses