Did you know?
- In the last 7 years, only one person has died in a school fire despite being an average of 3,3200 fires a year at school.
- In the last 7 years, an average of 3000 people died in fires at home, with the numbers rising last year 10% to 3400.
Why the difference?
At school, fire drills are REQUIRED. Each student knows exactly what to do and where to go. At home, do you know where to go? Does your family? What about a meeting place?
What is causing home fires?
The top two leading reasons for home fires?
Other common causes for home fires:
What can you do about it?
Learning and practicing fire safety can save your life! Here are some suggestions to learning fire safety!
- Have a home fire drill today to get a free giveaway from Sandy Fire Department
- Have the Fire Department visit your classroom and teach a personalized fire safety message for your classroom
- Have your 8-10 year olds attend the Jr Firefighter Academy held twice each summer
- Attend our CERT class to learn not only about home fires, but other natural disasters as well
- Invite the Fire Department to attend your event or fair to discuss pertinent fire safety messages
- Have the Fire Department come to your business for a fire extinguisher training
- Invite the Fire Department to come to your senior living home to discuss fire and fall safety
- In October schedule your preschool to attend our fire safety puppet shows
- And most important... talk about it with your family!
Have questions? Contact us!
Lenore Corey or Kimberly Hornberger